Sunday, February 22, 2009

因我不能停下等候死神




BECAUSE I COULD NOT STOP FOR DEATH 因我不能停下等候死神
Emily Dickinson 狄瑾蓀 (1830-1886)


Because I could not stop for Death, 因我不能停下等候死神
He kindly stopped for me; 死神好意地停下等候我
The carriage held but just ourselves 馬車僅乘載祂與我
And Immortality. 外加上 永生

We slowly drove, he knew no haste, 馬車緩緩地前行
And I had put away 死神知悉不趕忙
My labor, and my leisure too, 只因祂殷勤好禮
For his civility. 吾將作息置一旁

We passed the school, where children strove 我們經過了學校
At recess, in the ring; 學童下課操場奔
We passed the fields of gazing grain, 我們經過佇立的稻田
We passed the setting sun. 我們經過落日

Or rather, he passed us; 寧說落日趕過我們
The dews drew quivering and chill, 露水帶來了寒意
For only gossamer my gown, 只因吾衣裳單薄
My tippet only tulle. 披巾只是柔絲綢

We paused before a house that seemed 我們停於一屋前
A swelling of the ground; 猶如凸起之地面
The roof was scarcely visible, 屋頂幾乎看不見
The cornice in the ground. 隱藏於地下飛檐

Since then ’tis centuries, and yet 自該程後已數百年
Feels shorter than the day 但感覺不比當日長久
I first surmised the horses’ heads 這才思忖到 馬車頭
Were toward eternity. 朝向永恆


In this poem, Dickinson describes dying and immortality in the dominant metaphor of a carriage on a journey.

I am also reminded of a poem by Joyce Grenfell (1910-1979):
"If I Should Go Before the Rest of You" <如果我先走了>

If I should go before the rest of you 如果我先走了
Break not a flower, nor inscribe a stone 別糟蹋了鮮花也別刻壞了石頭
Nor when I'm gone speak in a Sunday voice 我既然不在了 也不用再說教了
But be the usual selves that I have known 就像我所認得的你們平常一樣
Weep if you must 想哭就哭吧!
Parting is hell 分離總是悲傷
But life goes on 但是生命永不止息
So sing as well 所以盡情歌唱吧!

Alex, I know you who loved singing will be singing in heaven.
May you rest in peace.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home